ST. PAUL — A Twin Cities-area league has become the first baseball association in the country to ban all barreled baseball bats.
Composite-barreled bats will be illegal this season in the North Star Showcase League, and so will aluminum barreled-bats. Wood-barreled bats are also a no-go. BBCOR and BESR certifications don’t matter — if your bat has a barrel, it won’t be allowed.
Starting this season, players will only be allowed to use handles.
While other leagues around the country have placed moratoriums on composite-barreled bats and some have tightened bat performance standards, the NSSL’s decision outpaces them all.
“We’ll close a long, terrifying chapter in the history of youth travel baseball,” NSSL president Gordon Witz wrote in a league newsletter. “For far too long, infielders have played their positions with the full knowledge that a ball could come quickly flying towards them at any moment. As well, this will allow us to roll back our ‘Ghost runner’ rule.”
The NSSL’s ghost runner rule was enacted in 2006, keyed by growing concerns about the safety of offensive runners in the infield. Per the rule, once a player reaches first base, he can leave the base and head back into the dugout after declaring a “ghost runner” at first.
An amendment in 2008 allowed runners to declare a “ghost runner” on first without having reached first yet, should they feel the infield is too dangerous.
Click here for more information about the rules changes.
In response to the NSSL’s decision, we’d like to list the bats we carry that will not be allowed this season. Those bats are:
- Worth Titan Composite -3 Adult Bat
- Combat 2011 B1 Bomber Stiff -3 Adult Baseball Bat
- Combat Virus -3 Adult Bat
- Easton 2011 Stealth Speed II Reg -3 Adult Baseball Bat
- Easton 2011 Stealth Speed II Stiff -3 Adult Baseball Bat
- Easton Synergy Speed 90 Composite -3 Bat
- Easton Stealth IMX Adult -3 Bat
- Easton Stealth Speed 75 Adult -3 Bat
- Easton Stealth Speed 95 Adult -3 Bat
- Nike 2011 Aero CX2 -3 Adult Baseball Bat
- Miken 2010 Freak 100 Comp Stiff -3 Adult Baseball Bat
- Miken 2010 Freak 100 Comp. Flex -3 Adult Baseball Bat
- Miken 2011 MV3 Composite -3 Adult Baseball Bat
- Mattingly 2009 Beast Adult -3 Baseball Bat
- Rawlings 2010 5150 Composite -3 Adult Baseball Bat
We’ll keep you updated on any further developments.